Monday, October 13, 2008

Fall Into Flavor With Hash Brown Casserole


Don't forget about Try It Tuesday tomorrow. Have you written your post yet?

Last week, my recipe had one stick of butter. This week, it has two. Next week, we are eating butter. Just a whole stick of butter. OK, not really.

We are finally getting some cooler Fall weather around here, so it is the perfect time to make this hearty potato casserole. I have my sister-in-law, Nancy, to thank for this recipe. She is a great Southern cook who could make a kazillion dollars with her fried chicken and she was the first to bring this casserole to one of our family gatherings. And, let me just tell you, if you have been making a hash brown casserole and it is not this one? Throw away your recipe. Especially if it is one of those with the cereal on top. THROW IT AWAY. And make this one. You will be SO glad you did.

Hash Brown Casserole

1 bag frozen hash browns
1 stick butter
2 C. grated cheddar cheese
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 T. diced onion, or to taste
1 container of sour cream

Thaw the potatoes. Melt the butter and add the sour cream and soup and the diced onion to the potatoes in a large bowl.

Now take another stick of butter, melt it in a frying pan and add a sleeve of crushed Ritz cracker and stir until they are hot. Sprinkle this mixture on top of the casserole.

Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

This is a large casserole, so I have started dividing it in two since there are just two of us here most of the time, and freezing the second casserole. It freezes great.

Now, go over to 2nd Cup of Coffee and see just how much butter you can consume. Then go take a walk. A long one.

13 comments:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

OH, I am so sorry about the link list. PLEASE come back and sign in now. I think I have it fixed, except it doesn't show a list; everyone has to click on it. This recipe sounds heavenly. Love the buttah!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

OK, I fixd the links and added yours. So, so sorry.

Jessica said...

I have this on our menu for Wednesday. It's one of my husband's favorites. My recipe looks just like yours! Yum!! :)

Patrice and Higgins said...

This looks so yummy, did I miss how much sour cream to add??

Merrie said...

I love this casserole. I've had it lots, but not the recipe! Thanks for sharing...

Anonymous said...

This is a good recipe to have when you don't feel like going to the trouble of making twice baked potatoes, without sacrificing the deliciousness. Yum!

Lynda said...

Wow, you're right - it's a Butter Extravaganza, but it sounds great!

Mocha with Linda said...

Wow, this looks great. Bring on the butter!

Wep said...

I wrote mine already :) It's on autopost for tomorrow!

Deodand said...

This is just a giant ball of dairy fat. No wonder it sounds so delicious.

Susanne said...

I was going to post this too! This is my daughters absolute fav side dish except we use cream of mushroom soup.

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorites, although I don't think I've ever made it! Thanks for posting the recipe!

Natalie said...

I am trying that this weekend! It sounds yummy