Monday, October 20, 2008

Fall Into Flavor With German Potato Soup

Try It Tuesday is tomorrow. Have you written your post yet?

It is finally turning into Fall around here at last and I have been able to pile my sweaters into neat rows on my closet shelf, carefully arranged by color. Why, yes. I am a tad anal. What's your point?

Cooler weather calls for homemade soup and I have JUST the soup for you. This recipe is from my friend Vicki who brought it to school one day and, without even tasting it, I could tell from the delicious-looking cheesiness of it, that I wanted the recipe. And because she is a good and generous friend, she shared the recipe. And made me and all of my family addicts of this soup. Which can be a bad thing because there is a great deal of chopping involved. But it is SO worth it. No butter, but a pound of Velveeta. Which, really? All gourmet chefs use.

German Potato Soup

5 Cups chopped potatoes
1 Cup each, carrots, celery, onion
1 lb. Velveeta
4 chicken bouillon cubes
2 cans cream of chicken soup
5 Cups water

Dissolve the bouillon cubes in the water. Add the carrots, celery, and onion. Cook 20 minutes at a simmer. Add potatoes. Cook 20 more minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add soup and mix well. Add the Velveeta (in chunks) and cook until cheese is melted. Serve with crumbled bacon on top.

Do NOT put all the ingredients together and cook this soup. You have to go by the recipe or the Velveeta will stick to the bottom of the pan and burn. Not that I have EVER done that. I'm just saying.

Let me know what you think.

Now, check out 2nd Cup of Coffee for other great Fall recipes.



Stumble It!

10 comments:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Good point about the sticking Velveeta. Not that I did that just last week or anything. Thanks for sharing.

Cindy Swanson said...

This looks fantastic! Believe it or not, I've never made potato soup, and this recipe just might remedy that.

Pamela said...

This soup sound delicious.

Kim said...

Potato soup is one of my favorites. And adding cheese? Muy bueno!!! Not sure I can find Velveeta here but it's sure worth a shot just to be able to make this soup :-)

Skoots1moM said...

have already copied to my file...thx, and i'll do it in order!
BOO to U!!

Natalie said...

Ooo I am goign to have to try this. I made the hasbrown casserole I got from here yesterday and everyone LOVED it!

Mocha with Linda said...

Sounds scrumptious. I was just wishing for a potato soup recipe yesterday after eating Chili's good Baked Potato Soup.

Loved your warning about the Velveeta.

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

Love potato soup - and I'm committed to using my crock pot this month -- wondering about the Velveeta issue with a crock-pot.
HMmmmm...
Sounds wonderful though!
Kindest Thoughts,
esthermay

Merrie said...

Sounds wonderful! If it will ever get cold enough, I think I'll try it! I do love potato soup!

Jerralea said...

Sounds delish!

I'm late going to all the links this week!