Monday, October 6, 2008

Fall Into Flavor With Derby Pie


Linda over at 2nd Cup of Coffee asked us to share our "comfort food" recipes for which, apparently, the definition is "a lot of butter". The more butter, the better. Luckily, I can oblige. Or perhaps I should say, unfortunately, I can oblige. Because butter is not exactly the healthiest ingredient you can use in a recipe. But man. Is it good. So, you might possibly want to have a salad for dinner if you are going to make this pie. Because it has a whole stick of butter in it.

Before I moved to Kentucky, I had never heard of Derby Pie. I HAD heard of the Derby but just vaguely knew that it was some horse race. I can now say that I have been to the Derby and I have eaten Derby Pie. Quite a bit of the latter, actually. There is some controversy about where Derby Pie was invented, but most agree that it was developed at The Brown Hotel in Louisville. It is now, however, patented by Kern's Kitchen, a restaurant in Prospect, Kentucky. Wherever it came from and whoever invented it - we should be forever grateful. Because it is that good. My mother-in-law served this pie to me for the first time years and years ago and I immediately asked for the recipe. And now I am sharing it with you. Although I guess I should call it something besides "Derby Pie" since that is a trademark. So, call it whatever you want. Chocolate Pecan Pie. Whatever. Just enjoy it.

Derby Pie (or whatever)

2 eggs

1/2 C. butter

1 C. sugar

1/2 C. flour

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 6 oz. package of chocolate chips

1 C. chopped pecans

Cream the butter and sugar together. Beat in the eggs and flour. Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts. Pour in an unbaked pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Let it cool before you slice it. Remember to be nice and share.

9 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh, I love Derby pie. Delicious!

Anonymous said...

Ooh thanks for sharing this. It sounds delicious - I might be the only person who hadn't heard of Derby Pie!

Diane Meyer said...

I would give a whole bundle of cash for a piece of this right now.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

What Didilyn just said. Me, too. I definitely would like to make this. And can I say that I'm almost completely uninterested in sports--except for the KY Derby. For some reason, my entire life, I've wanted to see it and just see all the people, etc. I think this is amazing, and I'm so glad you shared the recipe.

Mocha with Linda said...

My mouth is seriously watering. Butter and chocolate chips, vanilla, and pecans -- I can hear the angels singing.

Nance said...

The thing about this pie is this: after you eat it, even a small piece, you immediately feel regretful. Like, "Oh God. That could not have been good for me. I probably have just added eleventy billion calories directly to my thighs and potbelly." Hideous. And wonderful. You should be ashamed.

Susanne said...

Never heard of it, but am so glad you shared it. I just might try it for our Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend!

Unknown said...

Yummy - I love Derby Pie!

Jerralea said...

Sounds delish. You can't go wrong with chocolate chips!