Monday, January 7, 2008

"To Sleep, Perchance to Dream"

Copyright © 1995-2004 uclick, LLC. All Rights Reserved.



I'm really very annoyed with you. Keeping all that information to yourself. Not sharing it with me. Not letting me know. Yes, I'm seriously annoyed.


What?

SLEEPING PANTS. I'm talking about SLEEPING PANTS. Yes, I know practically the entire human race has been wearing sleeping pants for a few years now. My husband, my children, my son-in-law, my nieces. Probably most of my friends, although we haven't sat around in our pajamas for, like, ever, so I don't really know about them.


For Christmas, my mom gave me a set of sleeping pants and a matching little red t-shirt. It was a cute outfit but I immediately thought I would need to exchange it for some silky pajamas. My lounging ensemble of choice up to this point has been silky pajamas, with a robe over them if it gets nippy in the house. My husband persuaded me to try them on, that I might like them, give them a chance. So, on Christmas day, I took a relaxing bubble bath and slipped on my new sleeping pants and t-shirt.


Seriously. I may NEVER wear anything else again. I'm not saying I'll wear them to Walmart, but I'm thinking very hard about a way that I can possibly wear them to work. Maybe a school-wide pajama party. I'll have to try to make that happen.


Because. Oh. My. God. These things are so comfortable. So. comfortable. I realized I wasn't going to be able to wear the same pair of sleeping pants for the next five or six years, so I went shopping yesterday and bought another pair. OK, two. OK, three. Shut up. At least it wasn't like I bought eleven pairs of shoes.


And I would have bought more but that's all they had in my size. I'm checking the other store today. And, due to the wonder that is the Internet, I can show you what I bought!



Aren't they CUTE? Because, you know. I have to look cute even when I am LOUNGING.


Picture from http://www.dillards.com


I bought a cream colored top and a brown top, which I found, strangely enough, in the men's department. I wanted long sleeve casual tops and most of the ones in the women's department were either too fancy or too expensive. The man's top has sleeves that are a little long but I just rolled them up. So, at this very moment, I look EXACTLY like the picture above. Except I am not a size 2. I'm slightly bigger. Slightly.

I would NEVER wear my sleeping pants to Walmart. But I'm just idly wondering if I could get away with it at the grocery.


What do you think?




Now, that would have been the end of my post except I just had to tell you this. When I was looking for a quote or idiom or something about sleep to put in my post title, I stumbled on the expression "sleep sex". My mother often told me that you learn something new every day. This is so, so true. This is definitely an ailment my husband would like for me to acquire. I love that it's not "always problematic..for their partners". Heck, no. They are probably THRILLED when their partner has this problem. I leave you with the definition of sleep sex.


Sleep sex or sexsomnia is a form of non-rapid eye movement (NREM) parasomnia (similar to sleepwalking) that causes people to commit sexual acts while they are asleep. The first doctor to coin the term "Sleep sex" was Dr. David Saul Rosenfeld, a neurologist and sleep doctor from Los Angeles, California. The proposed medical diagnosis is NREM Arousal Parasomnia - Sexual Behaviour in Sleep, and is considered to be a distinct variant of sleepwalking/confusional arousals (ICSD 2). The condition was defined by three researchers from the University of Toronto and the University of Ottawa in a paper called "Sexsomnia — A New Parasomnia?" published in the Canadian Journal of Psychiatry in June 2003. Sufferers are often aware of their behavior for a long time before they seek help, often because they are not aware that it is a medical disorder or for fear that others will judge it as willful behavior rather than a medical disorder. However, the reality of the condition has been confirmed by sleep disorder researchers who have made sound and video recordings of patients with the condition and observed unusual brain wave activity during the episodes similar to that experienced by other parasomniacs. It is a mind/body disconnect that occurs during sleep. In many cases it is a pre-cursor to neuromuscular disease and is treated with muscle relaxants and other medications.... Sexsomnia is not always problematic or extreme for those who experience it or for their partners. There is a great variety in both the frequency and levels to which people are affected by this disorder.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Long ago I discovered that wearing Chico's Travelers is just like wearing pajamas - except they look dressy! At school people often comment on how dressed up I am, but I have a secret! I feel like I am wearing pajamas!

Unknown said...

Glad you FINALLY learned about sleeping pants. God knows they are the most comfortable item of clothing that I've ever worn. I'll have to check out Chico's Travelers mentioned above. Never heard of them but maybe there is something new to discover!!

Sharon said...

Sleeping pants, I'll have to try them out.

Wow, sleep sex. My husband wishes......