Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I Admit It. I Wore Sleeping Pants To The Grocery Store.

So, I had to go to the grocery a couple weeks ago on a Sunday. We were both heading back to work on Monday after our Christmas/New Years holiday (and, seriously. How can that many days fly by in what seems like about 36 minutes?) and we had no food in the house. I had put it off as long as possible. I would have to actually LEAVE THE HOUSE. I went in the bedroom to remove my sleeping pants and slip on some jeans and then.

I reconsidered.

They didn't actually LOOK like sleeping pants. They didn't have little moons or sleepy puppies on them. They were navy and white. I had them on with a navy t-shirt. I could just put on tennis shoes and a ball cap and a jacket and nobody would even know they were sleeping pants! I could TOTALLY get away with this. It's not like I was wearing my slippers.

So I went. And I don't think anyone even noticed.


And even if they did?

Based on the number of OTHER people who were wearing sleeping pants, I think it's just a matter of time before the entire world wears sleeping pants EVERYWHERE.



I can't wait.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally wore a velvet track suit to work the other day when I was to be there by myself. And those? Are the same things as sleeping pants if you ask me. Ah, comfort. Truly underrated!

Unknown said...

Now sleeping pants are my kind of clothing! Although ... I continue to embarrass my daughter when I where them to pick her up at school. It's not like I have to get out of the car! Oh, and I wear my slippers on these occassions, praying I won't get pulled over by a cop - can you imagine doing a perp walk in sleepies and slippers??!!

Anonymous said...

Sleep pants? The last time I wore sleep pants out in public, I was in college. It was about 11 pm and I went to Kroger to buy a 12-pack of beer. Well, maybe it was a case. I don't remember. At any rate, perhaps you will start a new trend.

Natalie said...

I so used to do this all the time. I need to upgrade my pj pants so I can do it again. Mine are all pretty scuzzy looking. Mommy is the last one to get new clothes. And do they appreciate the sacrifices I make for them?! NO!

Lynda said...

Be comfortable!

Wep said...

As long as you are color coordinated I think you are TOTALLY fine. I mean most jammies look like stuff you would wear to the gym. Just whine about your abs as you walk through the store, no one will know the difference!

Anonymous said...

I'm living in Shanghai, China. Every evening people living here just walk on their sleeping pants to everywhere, in the streets or in 7-11s. It's funny that when I was in Beijing, I saw nobody do that. So maybe this pants thing is kinda a part of regional culture or something?

Anonymous said...

Excuse me. Aren't you the same lady that absolutely freaks out when people wear their sleeping pants to Wal-mart? You should be ashamed of yourself. hehe vj

Deodand said...

No no no no. Non! Trust me, I noticed you. I gave you the Stink Eye behind your back for not getting dressed! What is this world coming to? *shakes finger in random direction*

Granny Annie said...

Until this day I never heard of "sleeping pants". Back in the day we called them Pajama bottoms. A horrible memory haunts me of accidentally wearing my pajama bottoms to elementary school under my skirt. One of the girls noticed when I was in the restroom and told the teacher who made me walk home to change into proper underwear. What the heck did it matter. They were shorty PJ bottoms. Yet I was humiliated and Janie Jernigan (Pigtails, freckles, innocent looks and all) won again.