Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Try It Tuesday: Granola Bar Taste Test

I am a big fan of Granola bars. I realize that probably sounds like a contradiction for someone who is a big fan of Pop-Tarts, toaster strudels and iced sugar cookies, but it's true. They are quick and tasty and easy to eat in the car with one hand as you race to school because you had to have just 15 more minutes of sleep but you also needed extra time to style your hair because it's grown enough now that you have to blow it dry with that round brush and that takes FOREVER. So. They are a staple around here.

I have tried several different kinds, including the infamous Fiber One bars, which I refuse to link to because even though they are moist, chewy and delicious? They cause one to have...how to put this delicately and in a ladylike manner... a bit of an issue with expelling wind. Which could possibly cause your husband to sit up completely on the couch, turn to you and ask if you are having some sort of ISSUE this evening. SO. We don't eat those anymore.

My favorite so far has been the Nature Valley granola bars which are sweet, chewy and quite fabulous. I like them all but my favorite is the fruit and nut one. For a change of pace (why, yes, changing the kind of granola bar is an exciting CHANGE OF PACE for me. Shut up.) I'll buy the flat, crunchy ones which are also delicious. Recently, I decided I should once again try one of the Kashi products because they are lower in calories and actually healthier, blah, blah, than the Nature Valley bars. This is even though I KNOW the Kashi crap products taste pretty much like someone has taken a cardboard box and carefully cut it into lovely and creative shapes, packaged it and placed it on the grocery shelf. All those ads you see in the magazines about how they try so hard to make their products healthy and DELICIOUS? Lies. All lies.

Because I bought them again recently since they also had a fruit and nut granola bar and I had a taste test. And now? The Kashi crap product is in the trash can. And the lovely, lovely Nature Valley bars are nestled safely in my pantry.

Do your own taste test. Let me know. I'm really interested. Does anyone actually EAT the Kashi crap products?

Oh. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!

An EXTREMELY special day. Oh. The inauguration? Yeah. There is that. I guess that's PRETTY special what with the first African-American president evah and the economy plummeting downward like an errant, runaway airplane and our high, high hopes for some big changes in the next couple of years. Yeah. There is that. But that's not what I'm talking about. Did you forget this blog is about ME, ME, ME? Don't worry, I won't ever let your forget. Read more at my Herald-Leader blog here.

13 comments:

Granny Annie said...

Happy Birthday to
My favorite food guru!
If you say it tastes good, that's all I need to add it to my grocery list. By the way, I'm now addicted to Boston Cream Pie Toaster Strudel!

Unknown said...

I like the Nature Valley granola bars, too!

Happy Birthday! Wasn't it nice of Obama to have his Inauguration on your birthday?!!

CarolinaDreamz said...

Wow. What a fun blog to find. You are so funny!

I had to set my pop-tart down (shshs don't tell anyone) so I could type a comment, to you.

Thanks for taking one, for the team, with the Fiber One bars.

I actually do like the new Kashi breakfast bars. I had a blackberry one sent to me, in the mail, from some survey company. It was so good (or maybe I was so hungry) that I didn't keep it, long enough, to photograph it.

The sample also contained a coupon for a free box, and 5 coupons "for a friend" to get $2 off. Shamefully, I friended myself, to try all the flavors.

They are 'eh' edible. I do like the blackberry one. I think that's what its called. (And that probably explains why I am eating a pop-tart, right now, right?) *smile*

Happy Birthday, from Charleston, where they are forecasting snow, today. We'll see.

Do you still do Mr. Linky for Try-It-Tuesday?

My post is here: http://carolinadreamz.blogspot.com/2009/01/try-it-tuesday-recipezaar.html

~Heidi

CarolinaDreamz said...

Oh, I forgot.. by the way..

We really like the Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal. (http://www.kashi.com/products/golean_crunch_original)

But it is very much like the Fiber One Bar.

You've all been warned.

*smile*

Lynda said...

Oh, you must try the Fiber One bars - I like the oats & caramel. Great!

Lynda said...

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Jessica said...

Happy Birthday.

And like Lynda, I love Fiber One bars, but I'm a fan of the oats and chocolate. They are HEAVENLY! And only 2 Weight Watchers points. :)

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Sis! You make me laugh out loud and that's not easy to do. I can just see ole Tom sitting up and giving you the "eye". I remember when you first got married how shocked he was that ladies farted and belched. Boy, have you educated him!!

Deodand said...

I hated the Kashi bar too. It was like chewing wood-shavings.

And I agree that the Fibre One bar is very tasty. In addition to fibre and calories I have to watch the sodium in those little buggers - it really adds up quickly, especially in the ones with nuts in them.

Deodand said...

Oh, and Happy Birthday!

aclaypot4him said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
aclaypot4him said...

I've never tried the Kashi granola bar but the breakfast bars, the cereal called Vive (has 12 fiber grams and tastes awesome!), Co Lean Crunch, Go Lean Oatmeal, waffles, TLC Cheese cracker, Veggie crackers, etc...that crap is good stuff!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. The Nature Valley Fruit and Nut are my favorites. I eat one every weekday.