Monday, January 12, 2009

The Couch

You already know that Tom and I have our own set places when we watch TV together and they cannot be changed. He settles on the couch. I curl up in the recliner. And life goes on.

But the other night I was not feeling well. My head was aching and no amount of medicine seemed to have any effect, even my migraine medicine. It was starting to make my stomach hurt too. I kept shifting around in my chair, rearranging my pillows and blanket, trying to get comfortable and realizing that I was going to have to give up and just go to bed, when Tom spoke up. "Do you want the couch?"

People. I was STUNNED.

Perhaps you don't realize what a big sacrifice this was for him. He loves his couch. He adores his couch. The couch is his favorite place to be in the whole, wide world. And he was offering it to me.

I accepted instantly, without reservation. He moved to the recliner. I piled up two pillows for my head, covered myself with a soft quilt and, apparently, went immediately to sleep since he said later he talked to me for a while without getting an answer before he gave up.

The couch was quite lovely.

The fact that he gave it up for me?

Quite fabulous.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That gesture was an early Valentine's Day present...


caw

Anonymous said...

He's a keeper.

Anonymous said...

What a sport. :) vj

Lynda said...

Gave up the couch?? You must've REALLY been sick ;-)

Scribbit said...

What a guy you've got :) ANd I hope you're better now.