Thursday, March 13, 2008

Another Post About Napping. Sorry.

Picture from: http://icanhascheezburger.com/

OK. I realize I have written several posts about napping including the one here and that in one of them I promised never to talk about napping again. I should never make rash promises. You never know when one of the immensely fascinating topics I blog about will, once again, become timely and I will be able to milk another post from it to share some pertinent information with you. Apparently? All this time I have been thinking that napping was just the loveliest indulgence you could possibly engage in, when in reality I was actually KEEPING MY HEART HEALTHY

I KNEW it. OK, I suspected it. OK. I had absolutely no idea. Doctors at the Harvard School of Public Health have discovered that people who nap at least 30 minutes a day (and my personal opinion would be - the longer, the better) are less likely to die of heart attacks than those who don't nap. They even suspect that it might make you healthier by lowering the level of cortisol in your blood, which weakens the immune system. Some companies are even offering napping rooms, a concept I could totally support.

The article I read about this study suggested some creative approaches to getting in this 30 minute siesta, one of which I found rather amusing. They said you could lean back in your chair with a bottle of eye drops in your hand. Then, if someone came in, you could just say you were putting eye drops in your eyes.

My problem is that I would probably be so deeply asleep, drooling on the chair back, that if someone came in, I would jerk awake and the bottle of eye drops in my hand would go flying through the air and smack me in the face.

And really. That would not be very relaxing at all.

1 comments:

aclaypot4him said...

I know a certain partner that takes a nap everyday on lunch break...we have teased him for years...and sleep is still sweet for him. :O)