Thursday, April 10, 2008

Take A Torch To Torchwood

I may make a few enemies with this post. Bring on the "Torchwood" fans! Bring on the comments! Bring on the controversy! I am ready for you.

Because, based on the research I did about "Torchwood" to find out if there are others who..let's see how to put this diplomatically..find this the most boring, insipid show they HAVE EVER SEEN, most of the viewers of this show are pretty rabidly enthusiastic about it.

I don't get it. Really I don't.

We have learned to be fair when we start a series. After I gave up on "Buffy" after a couple of episodes and decided it was the stupidest, campiest, boringest, most ridiculous show I had ever seen and Tom had to come upstairs to drag me back down, saying "You won't believe what just happened! You HAVE to come watch it again", and we discovered this was the BEST SHOW WE HAVE EVER SEEN, we now give them at least a few episodes before we give up. So, even though we looked at each after episode one of "Torchwood" and said "What the heck? That was AWFUL. Terrible story, terrible acting, terrible special effects...just...terrible." We persevered. Because we are nothing if not fair to our (slightly) fanatical TV viewing.

So we watched the next one. And the next. And the next. We watched almost half the season before we decided we were not wasting one more minute of our lives on this show.

The stories, they are terrible! The acting, it is awful! The special effects, they make us cringe! And I thought I was the only one who was mesmerized by the terribleness of Gwen's teeth until Tom said he could NOT look at the rest of her face. Every time she came on the screen, his eyes zeroed in on her terrible teeth. It wasn't just me.

This is absolutely not the only reason we will not EVER watch this show again. In all fairness, I have an issue with the main character's teeth in "Robin Hood" as well (although I either got used to them or he had some work done between Season 1 and 2) AND I think he is a little skinny for the role AND I try to avoid thinking about the fact that I am pretty sure there is some kind of comb-over going on with his hair. But all of that fades away when the story begins and you are lost in their fantastical, romantic world.

That never happens with "Torchwood". You are too busy concentrating on the flaws to enjoy the few good things in this series. I'm sure there are some good things. I just can't think of any offhand.

So, what do you say? Did you hate it? Love it? Why? I truly want to know.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I hate it, the Spouse loves it. Go figure!?