Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Hallelujah, I Can READ!

(And you better believe I had to look up how to spell "hallelujah".) I had almost forgotten how enjoyable reading books can be while I was immersed in my "Gilmore Girls" obsession. Now, when I get home from school, I actually have a couple of hours to read. It's fabulous. I may have gotten a trifle carried away when I went to the library.



But I will struggle though. I'm working my way through them. Also, what I find amazing, is how many truly crappy books are out there. I often start two or three books and give up on them before I find something good to read. But I have found a few.

"Switchcraft", by Mary Castillo is about two women who magically switch bodies and lives and is cute, light entertainment.

"The Immortal Highlander", by Karen Marie Moning is a cool fantasy story about elves (think macho elves like Legolas in "Lord of the Rings") and their contact with humans. There is a LOT of, uh, contact, so beware if you don't like that kind of thing. I didn't realize I was starting in the middle of the series until I checked on amazon, but this can be read on it's own. She has written several books about these characters and this world, so check them out.

Duma Key, by Stephen King is about a guy who is badly hurt in an accident and goes to live in Florida where his painting begins to take a creepy turn and his pictures start to show the future. It's typical Stephen King and is definitely a good read.

Blaze, by Richard Bachman (pen name for Stephen King) is one that King wrote years ago but never published. He dug it out of storage, decided it was pretty good, and released it and it is heart-wrenchingly good. It's a story about a kidnapping, but it's not quite that simple.

Up Close And Dangerous, by Linda Howard is an action/adventure story combined with a romance and I just loved it. A couple crash-lands in the wilderness and has to survive on their own. I love a story with a tough, gutsy woman and this one definitely have one.

I'm in the middle of a couple of others and will keep you updated.

What about you? What are you reading?

4 comments:

Betsy said...

I'm reading Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld. It's a fun read.

I just finished Eat, Pray, Love which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Bunny B said...

Switchcraft and Duma Key sound interesting! I'm currently reading Earthly Pleasures by Karen Neches. Loving it!

John Deere Mom said...

I have only read one of those books in your stack...Second Chance by Jane Green. Love her. I just finished re-reading Little Children by Tom Perrotte. Very good book. The title is deceiving. Now I need a new one to read! Might just choose one from your stack and head to the library!

Anonymous said...

I just finished The Pillars of the Earth Ken Follett. Long, 973 pages, but a really good book.
I am now reading Savannah Breeze by Mary Kay Andrews. Perfect choice while vacationing in St. Pete Beach, Fl.
Very interesting.
yaya