Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Packing Should TOTALLY Be An Olympic Sport. I Would Win A Gold Medal.

So, we leave for Puerto Vallarta tomorrow. Perhaps I have already mentioned that. Perhaps

I love packing. Packing clothes for a trip I mean, not packing to move. Although I don't actually mind that either. But packing for a trip? Well, that's almost a religious experience for me.

I was talking to my friend Sallye the other day and she was saying they were driving to Chicago for a shopping trip and wasn't it too bad they had to drive instead of fly? And I said, Well, you have to just consider that day of driving to be part of the trip. Eat, laugh, talk and have fun. It's all part of the trip.

To me, packing is part of the trip. Just like planning for the trip. They are both fabulous for me. If I was leaving on a trip and my suitcase was not 99% packed the night before, you can bet that I have probably been stricken by the Ebola virus. I'm normally all organized and packed at least 3 or 4 days before a trip. I plan what I am going to pack right down to the matching underwear and accessories for each event on the trip. Of course, I throw in a few extra things in case there is a weather change or we impulsively decide to do something other than what is on my carefully prepared agenda. But normally I am completely organized.

Of course, I have to confess that I have arrived at locations without my hairbrush and toothpaste. But that's because it's so hard to remember to brush your hair, brush your teeth and then PUT THE STUFF IN THE SUITCASE, NOT BACK IN THE DRAWER. Anyway, those things are easy to replace. I have never arrived somewhere and not had the appropriate outfit.


For example.

That's what I'm wearing to the airport. Although that does not technically meet the definition of packing, it does require planning. Unlike some other individuals I have seen traveling at airports, I carefully plan what I am wearing to travel. Lee khaki pants with a little elastic for comfort. I can also wear these at the resort if it cools off. Stretch black turtleneck. Sleeveless because it will be warm when we get there. Jacket because the airport or airplane may be chilly. Cute, stylish, yet comfortable slides. The requisite matching black underwear is not in the picture. I didn't want to be too obsessive. What? Telling you all what I am packing is not obsessive. Is not.

Now, here's what I'm wearing to go out to dinner our first night. The restaurants are all pretty dressy and the men are required to wear long pants. I'm sure this means some people will show up in jeans and t-shirts and God knows what else. These people, however, will not include us. We will be classy. And we will look damn good. I know Tom will look damn good because I chose all his clothes and packed them for him. After all, his appearance is a reflection on me.




And the other two nights to go out to dinner.




Two pairs of shorts and three interchangeable tops. I also packed a couple of extra tops and a light white cardigan in case it gets cool.








I didn't take a picture of my bathing suit or my pajamas or my exercise clothes. I did use some restraint. See? Not the least bit obsessive. Yes, I plan to exercise every day. Yes I do. Shut up. Considering the endless buffets and the fact that all our food and alcohol is already paid for, I'm sure we will be getting our money's worth as far as food. And, to be honest, part of the exercise plan is because Tom normally sleeps a little longer than me. Unless I want to curl up on the bathroom floor with a book, this means I need to vacate the room. This is good because a little time on the treadmill will be just what I need to work off all those strawberry margaritas and coconut shrimp.

So, aside from a pair of shorts which is in the dryer as I type this, both of our suitcases are completely packed. We will add our toiletries on Thursday morning and carry everything out to the cab and head for the airport.


And hope that nobody steals anything out of my suitcase, which happened to another friend of mine. I have lost a suitcase full of clothes once in my life. I don't want it to happen again.


Just hand over that gold medal any time. You know I deserve it.


I TOTALLY think I should be allowed to leave school early today. I need to get a bright red pedicure for my trip. Don't you think so? I knew you would agree.












8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It certainly is a good thing for me that you love packing so much. Because I HATE it...


caw

Anonymous said...

Have a fabulous time on your trip. I can't wait to hear all about it when you return. Every little detail. :)
Have a safe trip. vj

Unknown said...

Have a wonderful time! We'll be thinking of you. Drink a margarita for me. We'll soon follow in your vacation footsteps, albeit in a different direction. It is so exciting!! BTW, I HATE packing as does anyone I know except you. Since I travel a lot, wish I'd gotten the packing gene instead of you. Oh well, I'll grit my teeth and do the job. If I left it to The Spouse we'd arrive with no underwear, nothing that matched and one left shoe. Fortunately, she has me. Have fun!!

Boo said...

I too love to pack! The plan, the organization, the satisfaction! It's so great!! Have fun on your trip!!

aclaypot4him said...

Not a happy packer, myself...The margarita and coconut shrimp, however, is very appealing! Enjoy yourselves!

Ariel said...

The packing part is a lot of fun! However, I hate the unpacking... and the laundry. The trip makes it worth it though. Have fun and take lots of pictures! Can't wait to see them!

Bea said...

Those are some fabulously coordinated outfits.

When I was in Germany on an exchange in high school, my host mother had packing as her mutant power - when it was time to go home, she found a way to wedge in every single thing, even though my suitcase had been full when I arrived and I'd done lots of shopping since then. It's a gift.

Nikky said...

kindrid spirit... gimme a suitcase, a pen and pad of paper and I am in heaven.
I love packing as long as I LIST first!

Have a great time (to match how great you'll look!)