Friday, September 28, 2007

One is Silver and the Other, Gold

I had a best friend in college. We did everything together. We cried together when we were dumped by guys, went to Florida during Spring Break and had experiences our mothers would cringe at, managed to share an apartment without killing each other (although, during the fish chowder episode, we came close), we laughed and cried and blundered through everything college life and the sorority had to offer us, always together. I was with her when she met her future husband on the beach. She was there when I went out on a blind date with my future husband. We were in each other's weddings. We were there for the births of our children. We were close friends even after we got married and joined the real world of grown-ups.

Then...we drifted apart. There were new jobs, long distances apart, a divorce, things kept changing and...we drifted apart.

We got back together just recently. Funerals brought us together. I think we had forgotten how much we loved each other. She and my husband are the two people who have known me the longest, aside from my family. They have shared jokes they enjoy at my expense. We still have potato salad! And office manager...I may seem annoyed when they rag on me, but inside I am delighted that two people love me that much. We are making the effort it takes to stay friends. We are getting together for visits, inviting each other to parties, emailing and calling. It takes work to be a friend, but it's worth it.

I have new friends now. Friends I have made while we were apart. They are incredibly precious and important to me. Vicki picked up a prescription for Liz when we were trying to get ready for the wedding and were both just too overwhelmed to pick up her migraine medicine. Just picked up the phone and she did it, no questions. Maquel brought homemade bread when she came to my house for the first time. Didn't ask, just thought I might need more food for the brunch. Barb is one of the most reliable people I know. Mary picked us up at the airport one time when we were stranded. Maggie recommended a great place to shop. Sallye inspires me with her creativity. Debbie makes me appreciate my grandson over and over again. Hazel can make me laugh and cry - sometimes in the same conversation. Terry makes me strive to be a better person. They sent flowers and cards and food when I needed them after funerals. They are always there when I need them; to laugh with and to cry with.

Have you heard that Girl Scout song about friends? Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other is gold. It's true...but. Gold is more precious than silver so it's not so true for me. All my friends are like a special, just opened box full of pirate treasure. The old one and the new ones. They are all solid gold. I appreciate them. I need them.

I...love them. All of them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You inspired me to pick up books again and read and read. You are a great inspiration to all of us. You work hard to get us all together and we truly appreciate you for that. You and I will be friends for life. :)
love, vj

Phoenix said...

Good friends make the world a better place.

Hey I added you to my link list. Thanks for all the awesome comments. If your email came across when you comment, I'd write you back. I'm not always as good about visiting, as I'm rarely on the computer anymore, but I try to always email people back.

Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

Great Blog. I treasure your friendship as well. As old as we are getting - I guess pretty soon we'll go from silver to gold!

Anonymous said...

Loved , Loved, LOVED~!!! the blog "dedicated" to me~!!!!! LOL!! We DID do some things that our Moms would probably not want to know~!!! But, boy did we have fun! Looking forward to Thursday. Luv ya,b.