Monday, August 6, 2007

"A Balanced Diet Is A Cookie In Each Hand."

Diet? Oh, yeah...I kinda forgot about that. I don't know why, every summer, I think I'm going to exercise and lose weight. I'm going to have all this time! I'm going to get up and exercise EVERY MORNING and then I'm going to eat healthy and swim and walk and eat some more healthy food and the pounds will just FALL OFF! But I never learn. It never happens. Because I am too lazy. And the refrigerator is RIGHT THERE. You get the idea. It's actually harder to lose weight in the summer than when I am working. And last week? Fuggedaboutit.



Tom sometimes complains that I don't cook enough. Bless his little heart. I cooked at home exactly one night last week. I had plans to go out to dinner every other night last week. I didn't plan it that way. (Oh, if only I could.) It just happened. Dinner with my sister and sister-in-law when my sister comes into town, dinner with a couple we have known for years, dinner with friends...it just happened. So, no cooking last week. And that means forget the diet. I know that, theoretically, you can eat healthy when you eat out. There actually are salads and vegetables and grilled meats on that menu. It is possible. But everything fried and crispy and covered with gravy and buttery and cheesy and lip-smackin' good is the stuff that is bad for you. Sigh. It's a conundrum. Eat healthy or eat delicious. Yeah, I know what you are going to say. It IS possible to do both. But I don't think most restaurants have come to the same conclusion. Have you ordered the vegetable side at most restaurants? It's that plastic broccoli, carrot and snap pea or green bean combination that is revolting.



You know what someone should do? Someone should open a Weight Watchers restaurant. Where everything is labeled on the menu with the points and everything is delicious and fresh and there are lots of vegetables and fresh fruit choices. It IS possible to have good, healthy diet food when you eat out. It's just not easy.



So, I'll try. I'll carefully check the menus and try to order something both good AND healthy. And now that I'm back at school? I'm sure I'm going to be able to exercise and diet. Not because I say that EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Because this year is going to be different.



Because I have that Yoga DVD. And that's going to make all the difference in the world.



Or maybe I can just wait and start next summer. I'm SURE it will be different next summer.

1 comments:

Nikky said...

I've heard great things about yoga, but also, go on ebay or something and look up Billy Blanks. ANYTHING by this guy is great. It's alot more high energy than yoga, but maybe a little switch up now and then!

I love reading your posts about this, inspires me to get off my bum!