Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Hello, My Name Is...

I have recently come to the conclusion that you never really know someone. Anyone. Even that person you are the closest to, your best friend, your sibling, your lover, your spouse. If you disagree, just try getting into a discussion with someone about something you feel strongly about, like a right to an abortion or gay marriage. You may find you don't really know them at all. Or even just making conversation with someone, you may find out something about their life you didn't know. Some private agony they are suffering that you never dreamed about. You can't tell that kind of thing by a hi, how are you? kind of conversation.

I say my prayers every night. Do you? It's surprising how many people do. This came up in a conversation with one of my friends recently and I was surprised to find that she prayed every night. That she was praying for some of the same people I was praying for. Maybe surprised isn't the right word, because she is a good person, but...slightly taken aback. Like maybe I thought I was the only person who did that. Which is dumb, I know. I pray every night. It's kind of silly because I say the same prayer I have been saying since I was a little girl...Now I lay me down to sleep. Then, I pray for my family and friends and for anyone who seems to need some extra help. I don't know if it helps. I know it makes me feel better.

But here's the thing. Just in idle conversation with my husband the other day, I asked him if he prayed. Now, we are not what you would call really religious people. We haven't been to church in years. Years. But you know what he said? Yes. Yes, he prays. He has been praying for our son to find a job just recently, since this has been a big issue for Mark. But the point I am trying to make is this. I didn't know Tom prayed. If someone had asked me, I would have said no. Definitely no. But he does.

So here's all I'm saying. I know Tom. I know I can count on him. I know he loves me. I know we are not going to get a divorce. But, apparently, I don't really know him.

Even when you think you know someone. You never really know someone. And I guess sometimes that can be a good thing. Because my husband prays. And I like that he does.

I like that he does.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good to know that sometimes I can still surprise you....



....after almost 33 years of having known you.

caw