Friday, August 24, 2007

So, So Lucky

It is absolutely pouring rain outside. The sky looks gray and dreary and too close to the drenched grass through the windows and the sound of the rain pounding on the roof is strangely lulling. On days like this, I always wonder about homeless people. What they do. Where they go. How they stay warm and dry and comfortable.

For some reason, I think about this often. When I dash outside late in the evening to take out a trash bag and it's quickly getting dark and an icy cold wind is blowing, I think "What if I had to STAY out here? What if I didn't have my nice, warm, cozy house to run back into?" I look up from the trash can and see my windows glowing with a golden, welcoming light and I wonder how they manage.

I can't even imagine an existence that does not include a safe place to live. If you are reading this, you have a computer, a home, a safe place to live. And aren't we so lucky? So, so lucky?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, we are lucky. So lucky.

I don't know where the homeless in this country go on icy cold winter days, but in Madrid, I can tell you, they sleep in the metro. The city even leaves the entrance gates to the subway stops open when the temperatures fall below freezing. So the homeless can go underground and snooze on a bench with a discarded newspaper for a blanket. Not a happy thought.