Monday, April 27, 2009

I TOTALLY Look 32

Years ago, when we were in Pensacola on vacation, staying at my grandmother's house and I was a young and ignorant skinny person who had no sense about the weather, my mom had to loan me a pair of elastic waist pants to wear around the house because I had only bought teeny-tiny shorts and teeny-tiny tops. Which would not fit around my thigh at this particular stage in my life.

It was at that point when I swore silently that I would NEVER wear pants with an elastic waist. Just like I would NEVER color my hair but would go gray gracefully as my mother did.

So. The other day I bought some darling capris (in every color, OF COURSE) that have an ELASTIC WAIST. In my defense, they are that perfectly fabulous polyester that looks like polished cotton and I am SO TIRED of wrinkly shorts and capris after I wear them once and they had matching tops that totally cover the elastic and I haven't tucked in a shirt since approximately 1984 but still. ELASTIC WAIST. And need we discuss the hair coloring? I thought not.

So there I sat during story hour with my students with my ELASTIC WAIST pants and my totally FAKE hair color and I was telling them that I was retiring and one of my little kindergarten students asked how old I was. When I told her I was 56, she said "Oh." Then she studied my face very carefully and said "You only look 32".

32!

So. I'm wearing ELASTIC WAIST pants and my hair color is TOTALLY FAKE but a kindergartner thinks I look 32.

Hey.

I'll take it.

3 comments:

Lynda said...

Nice going! I need to hang out with 5 year olds :)

Unknown said...

Wow - out of the mouths of babes!

Edna said...

Kids do say the darndest things! You are going to miss that when you retire...I know I will if a few more years