Thursday, April 23, 2009

And I Don't Wanna Shave My Head

My hair is at the awkward, in-between growing out stage. You know that stage I mean. It’s just long enough to hang on my neck but not QUITE long enough to pull back in a ponytail. The front pieces which used to be bangs are chunky and annoying and I always dry them too long so they get kind of fuzzy and I have a terrible time styling the back of my hair. It always flips to the side I dried it from because I find it impossible to style it straight back.

The good thing about long hair is that you can do lots of things with it.

The bad thing about long hair is that you have to do something with it. Every. Single. Day.

I’m not ready to give up on it yet. If I can just get it a few inches longer, I’ll be able to do more with it. A few more inches and I can put it into a pony tail or bun while it is still damp and not have to blow it dry with a round brush, sectioning it off and carefully blowing until it is smooth and perfect and fixing it and messing with it and all this at 5:30 in the morning.

This morning, it was not working with me so I pulled it back on one side with two barrettes. I can’t decide if it’s OK to wear barrettes when you are 56 or not. I hope so.

Because this morning it was either barrettes.

Or shave my head.

5 comments:

Lizzybee said...

As long as they are not butterfly barrettes, I think you're cool:)

aclaypot4him said...

I'm with you Jan!!! My hairdresser scoffs at the idea of me at my age wearing a ponytail or barrettes...BUT he is a man...and besides knowing how to cover my grey in a way that looks like it's natural...what does he know!?
Now in the profession I'm in...I could probably shave my head and get away with it.

Unknown said...

I opt for the hair clip into a bun look - so my grandmother circa 1940s!

Natalie said...

I feel your pain. My hair seems to be taking forever to grow out and I have more BAD hair days than good ones. I can't WAIT until I can pull it up!

Sarah said...

Oh just hold on for a few more inches! Once you get to the pony tail stage, you will NEVER cut your hair again!!


Also, you should think about getting a straightener. It changed my life. I just dry my hair, then run it through the straightener and I am done! Way better than trying to round brush it while I dry...