Thursday, April 9, 2009

A Balancing Act

My mom has fallen twice in the last couple of months. My sister was quick to attribute her falls to a loss of balance, based on age. She has fallen herself, right off the big exercise ball she was using and right onto her head, causing a mild concussion. It was so unnerving that she began wearing a bicycle helmet while doing her ball balancing exercises! I listened absent-mindedly to her talking about balance and how it worsens as we grow older...read more at my Herald-Leader blog post HERE.

2 comments:

Granny Annie said...

My average was 9 when I crossed my left foot in front of my right. when I crosses right in front of left my average was 2. I can't comment on your Herald-Leader post.

aclaypot4him said...

I had skills training today...with 30+ men...again...no women...I came home feeling beat up and well...elderly. At 11:10 I was lying in bed ready to turn out the light when I decided to check your blog...After reading about the balance test, I got up grabbed my robe and went into the kitchen. Right foot and front of left. Arms across my chest and eyes closed...I began my count in the dark...I stopped counting at 50. It's all good now...I can't fight like a man...but I am balanced. Different people have different strengths. Now I can sleep...Thanks for sharing!