Thursday, July 24, 2008

I Went To The Pool For The First Time This Summer

I can't believe last week was the first time I have been to the pool this summer. I gave up my YMCA membership last year when I realized I was paying about $45 a month to basically drive by it every now and then and think about how I should be exercising, so I didn't have access to a pool unless I went to the public pool. Which I just never got around to doing.

I finally made plans with my son to swim at his apartment pool for the afternoon last week. It was very, very hot and the water was blue and clear and cool and lovely. There is nothing quite as wonderful as jumping into the crisp, clean water of a pool when you are really hot. When I jumped in, I realized it was the first time all summer. And as I floated on my back with the sun creating a reddish haze on my closed eyelids and the sound of my breathing echoing in my ears under the water, I wondered why I had waited so long. Life got in the way, I guess.

I won't let that happen again.

Check my Herald-Leader blog post today at: On The Patio At The Regatta

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I bet you have some type of fancy little shoe you wear to the pool!

Alice said...

I agree. There's nothing like swimming in a refreshingly cool pool. At your neighbor's house. That you don't have to take care of.

Trooper Thorn said...

You only get that refreshing feeling jumping into an outdoor pool too. Indoor pools in the summer are like swimming in an ashtry.

Does anyone remember what an ashtray is? My kids don't even know.

Texasholly said...

I am laughing at trooper thorn's comment...so true.

We have been obsessed with the pool this summer and have been on a pool tour of the area. What an amazing way to waste away a summer morning to induce nap-type activity in the afternoon.