Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Summertime and The Livin' Is Easy

It feels like summer today. It's a beautiful, warm day and we have a day off school for election day. But that's not it. I think it's because I just spent the whole morning cleaning my house.


My house stays pretty clean, actually. With no pets and no small children, aside from the little tornado called Wes, who visits once in a while, the house stays pretty clean. But it's in the summer, when I am off school, that it is the cleanest. I woke up at 7:45 the morning inspired to vacuum and dust today. These are two jobs that I put off because with a fairly large house, they are pretty monumental jobs. But they had been put off long enough. Something had to be done. So I just spent four hours cleaning every reachable surface. I'd like to do the bathrooms too but my strength and dedication have evaporated. So I'll save those for Saturday.


My house is immaculate and smells like orange furniture polish. This is a lot how it smells and looks in the summer. So, with the lovely weather and the day off school, my subconscious is telling me it's summer. Almost.


A few more days of school, then I work a few extra days to take a complete inventory of the library media center, and then it really will be summer.


Wes will enjoy the pool this summer. He thought it was fun last year but he was just a little baby then. Now he's a big boy who will be two in the fall and he will run and play and splash. I'm looking forward to that. And I'll go to the farmer's market and get fresh tomatoes and slice them for dinner with corn on the cob and steaks on the grill. And I'll sleep late and read all the books I can possibly read. And the days will be warm and long and lazy.


But, until then. Today feels like summer. I think I'll make a grilled cheese sandwich, prop up my book behind my plate and just take as long as I want to eat lunch.


Because summer is a good time to do that.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

People with "immaculate" homes have too much time on their hands. Or, maybe I'm just lazy?? Whatever....I'd much rather be playing golf, reading a book, messing around on the computer, shopping, swimming, cooking, selling on ebay, ANYTHING besides cleaning house. I do love my cleaning lady. Before her lovely weekly appearances started, cleaning was done sporadically when guilt became overwhelming or company was coming. Other than that, I'm afraid we are terrible slobs. My house has NEVER, on it's finest day, EVER been immaculate. I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but it's a fact.