Thursday, May 24, 2007

My Own Little Greenhouse Effect

It's a good thing I had a great day yesterday. Because today? Not so great.

You know those women you see at the gym who are working out so hard their shirts are drenched with sweat? You can even see sweat pattering on the treadmill as they are running? Their hair is slicked back and they wipe their faces with a towel constantly?

Yeah, that's not me.

Only, today, it is.

The air conditioning is out in my library. Not only is the air conditioning out, the system apparently thinks we are in the middle of a marrow-freezing blizzard because the heat seems to be on. When I got here this morning at 7:00 a.m, it was cool and pleasant outside. It was 86 degrees in the library. I opened the doors and windows and set up a little fan and the temperature dropped drastically. To 85.

And I just had a hot flash. Since your body temperature probably climbs to 120 degrees with a hot flash, that means my temperature is actually over 200 degrees. I may spontaneously combust at any second.

Y'all, my underwear is wet with sweat. This is not a good thing.

I have a vision today. Coincidentally, it's the same vision I had when we were standing out in the heat at our school field day. It's me lying on my bed on the cool sheets. In my underwear. With the overhead fan blowing on me. This vision is getting me through the day.

And just so you know, Tom. This is not an erotic image. Don't even think about coming in that bedroom unless you have an ice cold rag to lay on my forehead.

If I sit right here in front of the rotating fan and don't move, it's bearable. If I just sit right here...but I have a kindergarten class coming in. And I have to put out the books for the book exchange. And I really need to do some shelving.

Just a minute more in front of the fan. Just one more minute...

1 comments:

Sarah said...

this really sucks! Because of our lving cultures in the lab we have to always keep it at 25 degrees C...so that is about 78 degrees F. Took some getting used to, but I am always on the cold side so it works for me!