Monday, March 19, 2007

I'd Rather Be In Mexico

It's Monday morning. With the time change, it's pitch black when I go to school. I did not want to get up this morning. I did not want to come to school. I want to be in Mexico.

A few years ago, we went to Cancun in February. We had never travelled to someplace warm when it was cold in Kentucky. The last time I travelled into summer was when I went to Florida for spring break in college. We drove over the state line into the luscious smelling orange groves and into summer. This time, we flew from winter into summer. Strange. But lovely.

The second day we were there, we took a ferry over to the gorgeous tropical island of Isla Mujeres. Tom still swears that I only wanted to go there because I liked saying the name so much. It does fall trippingly from the tongue, doesn't it? (That's from Hamlet. Heh.) Isla Mujeres (oh, yeah) is famous for it's turquoise clear waters and wonderful snorkeling. But, first we wanted to have lunch. We found a little, rustic, wooden restaurant right on the main street. When we walked in, we realized the entire back of the restaurant was, actually, non-existent. The back wall of the restaurant was...the beach. At this point, we had not travelled in the tropics enough to know that many restaurants and hotels are completely open-air. The airport in Punta Cana has no walls! It's a concept that's hard to grasp when you live someplace that has seasons.

We sat down at a table...right by the beach. We could have literally reached our toes out and touched the sand. The breeze was cool and salty in our faces. The sand was shimmeringly, sparklingly gold in the sun. The clear water glinted in shades of turquoise to jade green to cobalt blue. We ordered a local fish specialty we had heard about and Tom had a Corona with lime for the first time. We ate. We drank. We smiled at each other lazily. We soaked in the atmosphere.

I wish I was there RIGHT NOW.

2 comments:

Nikky said...

Don't even get me started! JP and I spent a wonderful week in Playa Del Carmen (about 1/2 hour south of touristy Cancun) a couple of years ago... I honestly want to retire there, it was just beautiful and relaxing and... DAYUUM, Now ya got me thinking and dreaming of it!

Anonymous said...

So would you be traveling the Cancun with Angel or the guy from Smallville...(?)