Friday, March 23, 2007

Geek@Home.Com

I realized something yesterday afternoon. I have been flirting with the idea for quite a while. I have suspected it for some time. But now I know for sure.

I am...a geek. Just recently, I told someone to just copy and paste the url so they could work on their web page. And I could have DEFINED url for them. "Wow", I though. "That's a just a little bit...geeky."

But yesterday I knew for sure. I went to Best Buy to pick up a flash drive so I could transfer some movies my students had created from one computer to another. I stood at the display and looked at the flash drives. 1 GB, 2 GB, 3 GB. And I knew that was a Gigabyte. I don't know exactly what that is but I know I want a bunch of it. Then I saw it had a lanyard. Cool. I can hang it around my neck so I won't lose it. And I got a vivid mental picture. Of myself with my 3 Gig flash drive on it's lanyard around my neck, copying and pasting url's.

And I knew.

But that's not even the worst of it.

After Best Buy, I went to the comic book store and bought the new Buffy comic. What? You didn't know that Joss Whedon has a created a comic book series for Season 8 of Buffy? Yes. I did know. Because I read the Joss Whedon blog. Because I am...a geek. A certifiable, techie obsessed, comic book reading geek.

It could be worse, I guess. I could be a nerd.

5 comments:

LizzyBee said...

You are definitely a geek, but so am I, I guess.
Pretty sure that almost everyone knows what a gig and a flash drive is though.
The fact that you want to put it on a lanyard, pretty much locks it in to geekdom though.
;)

Sarah said...

Welcome to my world. When you are in love with the Video games, X-files, Futurama, and Star Trek the Next Generation (TNG for us geeks) it is hard to ignore. Nick and I have come to accept and even love out geekieness. At least we are in it together!

Nikky said...

I have my flashdrive on a lanyard... along with my hilighter markers and keys to the senate offices.

Welcome to the GC (that's geek club!)
Just remember, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were geeks, it can't be all bad!

Anonymous said...

So sorry to say that I don't know what in the heck you all are talking about! Flash this and gig that..... Sounds like someones been watching way to much Futurama.

But I do like Star Trek.

Hey....I'm sure I'm NOT a nerd.

Cici

Anonymous said...

Or you could be a rather unique combination of the two...or a....


GNerd

(like me)

caawwww