Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Various Scientific Studies

I have a four day work week this week. I love four day work weeks. Four day work weeks are the best thing on earth, besides the smell of my grandson's head. I can get so much done when I have a three day weekend. I can get to all the boring things that NEED to be done like laundry, but I still have that extra, surprise bonus day when I can get to the important things like reading and dozing. And reading and dozing. Is there anything better than a nap in the afternoon when you have no other responsibilities? But that's a subject for another post.

There have been many various scientific studies which show that a four day work week makes employees happier, more productive and creates a much safer work environment. Ok, that's a lie. But it should be true.

Anyway, I did get some reading done. I finished "Motor Mouth", by Janet Evanovich. Do you all know Janet Evanovich and Stephanie, the intrepid bounty hunter with big hair? I knew you did. Well, "Metro Girl" was about new characters, and it's funny and fabulous and I adored Nascar Guy. It was so good, I even got my husband to read it. So I had high, high hopes for "Motor Mouth". But...sigh...my high hopes were dashed. It's not nearly as good. And, instead of having one of those SPOILER ALERT warnings, I just won't tell you why it's not as good. But I was disappointed. And a little sad. But then I read the second half and perked up. The second half is much better. And hilarious. The parts about the dog and what they need from him..well, enough said. It's just tasteless enough to be gut-wrenchingly funny.

On a brighter note...OK, not really because this book is a little sad too. But, anyway, on a DIFFERENT note. I also read "Anybody Out There", by Marian Keyes. Have you read Marian Keyes and her books about the five Walsh sisters? You haven't??? Well, get out there right now and get one. You can read them in any order, but it would be best if you start with the one about Rachel - "Rachel's Holiday", which is the first one. Each one is about a different sister in the crazy, dysfunctional but loving Walsh family and they are all great. They are what I consider chick lit with substance. "Anybody Out There" is the one I just finished and it's about Anna. She has been in a very, very bad car wreck which has left her hurt and scarred and she has returned to Ireland and her family to recover, but decides she must go back to New York and her fabulous job at a make-up company to recover and face her life. I can't tell much more without ruining the story for you. Suffice it to say, you may figure out what is going on before it is revealed, but it is still a kick in the stomach. And what more can you ask from a book?

Read it. I'd like to hear what you think.

1 comments:

LizzyBee said...

I loved Nascar guy in the original book too. He was super-hot (or at least he was in my head). The sequel Motor Mouth was definitely not as good as the first one. I don't want to give anything away because the other girls haven't read it yet.
:You guys can fight over who gets it next!