Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Try It Tuesday: Taco Salad Shells

I like Mexican food. Now, I am the first to temper that statement with the fact that I do not like HOT Mexican food, so I guess I am just another lame American who likes Americanized Mexican food. But I do. I like tacos and quesadillas and burritos and pretty much anything you can stuff some meat and refried beans into. But I especially like a taco salad. Even though it is piled with meat and cheese and refried beans, it also has LETTUCE so you can eat it while deluding yourself with the fact that it is TOTALLY HEALTHY.

One of the things that I like most about a taco salad is the shell. I like the break off pieces and eat them with my salad like crunchy and quite delicious little extra treats. I'm always surprised when people (I'm looking at you Tom) treat their shell like a bowl and THROW IT AWAY.

I recently discovered that you can actually make those bowls yourself if you buy a taco salad shell kit at the grocery. It's really pretty cool. They come completely
flat and you can't imagine how they are going to make that shell shape. But then you lay them on top of the little cardboard molds you snap together which come in the kit, bake them a few minutes and voila! you have a taco salad shell.

And I realize that Voila! is a French term but considering the fact that when Liz and I were in Punta Cana I had a long conversation with the guys at the towel bar who were smiling and friendly and then I walked back to my chair and realized that I had mixed up my high school French and college Spanish with them, it's only natural I would use a French word in the middle of this post about a Spanish dish.



So, make some taco salads and try these bowls. Let me know what you think.

Check out my baby books giveaway at my Herald-Leader blog today.
And think about a trip to Toronto by reading
my travel blog today.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My family loves these taco bowls - and they are so easy to make!!

Lynda said...

We'll have to give these a whirl - thanks!