Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Rapunzel, Rapunzel, Let Down Your Hair! Or At Least Put It In A Ponytail.

The other night, I rolled over in my sleep and absently reached back to flip my long hair over my shoulder.

Y'all.

I haven't had long hair since I was in my 20's. Or maybe early 30's. And that was. A long time ago. Long. time. For some reason, my hair memory had regressed and thought I still had that long ponytail I sported for years and years. This is sort of like the time I was in a total beanie baby addiction phase and I left a store and the owner called me at home to tell me because I had been so nice and polite (this is a TRUE story), I could have one of the new beanie babies she just got in. And I was so amazed, I questioned whether she had the right person and she was all, oh, yeah, the woman with the blonde hair, right? And I totally said uh, no I have brown hair. Wait. I do have blonde hair now. And then she hung up and gave the beanie baby to someone who was not insane. No, really. She gave it to me. And I still have approximately 3,691 beanie babies that are basically worth nothing. They were a very sound investment.

I have had so many hair styles and colors over the years, I keep my hairdresser highly entertained. She literally rubs her hands together when I come in the door. Will she want it permed? Straight? Short? Longer? Red? Blonde? It's a virtual hair salon of choices. On one head.

But I AM a little tired of my current 'do. I've had it for several years and I have LOVED my short, flippy style but you don't really see this style much anymore. And I am NOT one of those people whose hairstyle will match up with what you see in their high school yearbook. In fact, every year in high school, my hair was different. Although, back then, I was not fighting the battle of the gray, so it did stay the same color. Except for the unfortunate orange streaks summer which we will not discuss here. Because it's too upsetting. They were supposed to be blonde. Blonde, I tell you!

So, the only way I can make a change at this point is to either 1. go purple or 2. grow it out. I don't think violet is a good color on me, so I'm going to grow it out again. I would like to be able to pull it back with a headband (just call me Muffy) or even put it up in the back into a bun or, if you want to be totally chic, a chignon. I don't actually know how to pronounce that, but it looks much fancier than just saying bun.

So. This is how I look now. Some of you may not have known up to this point what I look like. I tried to stay anonymous for a while, but that seems a trifle ridiculous now since I have a newspaper blog and everyone pretty much knows who I am. Except those readers who have never met me.

So. Uh. Hi! This is me. And I actually just have one chin. Usually.




But I think I want something more like this, but GAH! not that color, of course. Although I think that IS one color I have not had...




I don't know if I want bangs or not...but maybe. I also would like her figure, but that is probably not going to happen. Probably.




And here's someone more my age and hair color. But I might need it just a little longer to be able to do the chignon.



Just as soon as I figure out how to SAY chignon. So, what do you think?

After I wrote this post, Barack Obama chose his running mate, Joe Biden. Biden's wife is 57 and has long, streaky blond hair. An omen? I think so. I'm letting my hair grow again.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

OMFG!!! I have Joe Biden's wife's hair! Totally! Except I pull mine up with a clip when I go to work.

Lynda said...

I like the first choice...Biden's wife looks like she needs her hair cut - NOW!

Aubrey said...

Love the flippy hair you have now. I usually keep mine short and go back and forth from flippy to flat iron. Try the Reese 'do. I think it would look fierce on you!

Anonymous said...

Long hair is sooooooo easy and and gives you lots of options! Just takes longer to dry! :-)

Wep said...

I love your hair now :)

However, hair is the nicest hobby a woman can have. We grow it long, cut it short, grown in back, get bangs cut in. What more could we want out of life? What would we do with our time and money :)

Anonymous said...

I think your hair is so cute and trendy now!! And you already DO have bangs!! But if a girl's not feeling it, the easiest thing she can change is her clothes, shoes, nails, and HAIR! Go for it.

Anonymous said...

I think your hair is so cute and trendy now!! And you already DO have bangs!! But if a girl's not feeling it, the easiest thing she can change is her clothes, shoes, nails, and HAIR! Go for it.

aclaypot4him said...

I was on the way to growing mine out...it was going to be the length of your second choice. That is until I went and talked politics with my haiir stylist...today a fellow officer asked me, "Who butchered your hair?" Geez!
I agree with the comment that Jill Biben's hair needs cutting...Your style is more of a sassy one!

aclaypot4him said...

I was on the way to growing mine out...it was going to be the length of your second choice. That is until I went and talked politics with my haiir stylist...today a fellow officer asked me, "Who butchered your hair?" Geez!
I agree with the comment that Jill Biben's hair needs cutting...Your style is more of a sassy one!

Unknown said...

You want an opinion? Here's my opinion. Older women (sorry) should wear shorter hairstyles. They are just more becoming with all the "things" that are happening to our face. When you have long hair and you pull it up in a bun or chignon or pull it back in a ponytail or the like, you are accomplishing the same effect. Keeping the hair away from your face. So why bother with all the work of long hair? Keep it short. Change color. Change style. But keep it short. That's what I think!

Anonymous said...

I'm a Chinese guy who just searched webs in Google to find out how to pronounce the word "Rapunzel", and then I get here. It's so much fun to read your blog! I 'm glad I get here at random:)