Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Good Shoes Gone Bad

I have this FABULOUS pair of black sandals. They are wedgie and strappy and the strap comes up around my ankle. I knew they were really cute but I honestly didn't realize how FABULOUS they were until I wore them out to dinner on the patio with some friends the other night, when everyone proceeded to comment on my shoes and coo and make over them and, basically, make me feel like I was Carrie Bradshaw HERSELF.

But I made a mistake with the fabulous black strappy sandals. I wore them to a luncheon the other day and then I wore them the rest of the day at school. I had them on for approximately 8 hours and that was just about 7 hours too long. They felt OK when I was wearing them but the next morning, when I got out of bed, I fell to the floor moaning with the agony of my feet. OK, not really. But they did hurt. The left one more than the right. And they are still hurting.

I carefully examined them and then I called Tom up to examine them because it looked like the left one was kind of swollen, right at the ball of the foot. I don't know what I thought he could do about it. He carefully examined them as I held them up, whimpering in pain. And, being the good husband that he is, he did not make fun of me. He did not tell me I should not have worn those shoes. (Because that would be a waste of his time and mine.) He did not say he did want to examine my feet. He just said yes, it looks a little swollen. And he looked a little sympathetic.

And, really isn't that all we really want? When it hurts, we want it to LOOK like it hurts. And he knew that. And that's yet another reason why I love him. And will keep him around even if he does the put the trash on top of the trash can.

5 comments:

Ariel said...

That really stinks! Beauty is pain they always say! I personally have never understood but the foot pain, I certainly understand! I hope it gets better ASAP!

Anonymous said...

Why don't you save those fabulous shoes for the evening. They are really quite sexy for the daytime anyway. Sorry to hear about your foot pain. What we do to look our best. vj

Unknown said...

Remind me to tell you about my "shoe garden". I think I may have to blog about it!

Sarah said...

So I had these WONDERFUL black and wicker shoes on at the Wedding I went to on Saturday....the only problem. They are missys...and a size 7 1/2. I am a solid 8 1/2...but they were so CUTE! So I wore them...and after several hours in the outdoor heat I couldn't take it anymore. I decided to take them off (which really, groomsmen had changed from their tuxes to Lee County basketball t-shirts with the sleeves cut off, so I was cool...)

We were on the back patio and seriously there was a gasp of HORROR from Tarp and Justin when I took my feet out of the shoes. there was this CRAZY DEEP indent all along the top of my foot and my heal. Plus my feet had swollen up around the shoes...Had I known it would look that bad I would have just left them on...

One lovely girl (also from Lex, who had on ADORABLE yellow heals) told me to just ignore Tarp and Justin, that beauty is pain and I looked WONDERFUL!

An hour later I told Tarp my feet were nearly back to normal (they were still pretty red and swollen, but the lines were nearly gone) He looked down and said, "Sweetie, if that's normal you need to stop wearing flip flops!" Gotta love him...

And now ends the longest comment ever...

Alice said...

I can safely say I've never had a shoe emergency like this (unless you count my Bachelorett Party) because I wear the world's lamest selection of shoes. It's pretty much sneakers, flip-flops and Chaco's. Hope your feet feel better!