Thursday, June 19, 2008

Food Of The GODS

So, Friday was my last day of school. Wait. FRIDAY WAS MY LAST DAY OF SCHOOL. Much better. Librarians have to work a couple of extra weeks after school is out, but now summer has officially begun. I didn't actually get to leave until after 6:00 because I was on a team interviewing new teachers, so by the time I got home it was almost 7:00 and no dinner had been thought of or prepared.

Well, really, this is no surprise. If a dinner had been thought of or prepared by my husband, I would have known FOR A FACT that he had been replaced by some sort of pod-like alien. Because. Well. That would NEVER happen. He is still the same guy who leaves trash on top of the trash bag. I almost got the camera and took a picture of the two empty cookie boxes he carefully balanced on top of the full trash bag yesterday, but then I sighed and thought "why bother". His fan club of Vicki and Maquel would probably make a comment like "Oh, he probably fell down and broke him arm AT THAT VERY MOMENT and couldn't put them in the bag." Or something like that. So I didn't.

Anyway. He asked for a grilled chicken salad so I called takeout and then I opened the pantry because I can eat some canned soup or a sandwich and be perfectly happy and then I saw it. The food of the Gods.

You might be possibly be thinking the food of the Gods is something like filet mignon or truffles gathered by specially trained truffle sniffing pigs in the outer reaches of some forest in France but my response to that would be "Ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaa No."

The food of the Gods is, of course, beanie weenies. Canned baked beans (Bush's vegetarian) mixed with cut-up hot dogs. And heated. And eaten with a big spoon. OMG. Delicious.

Now, some people might not agree with my assessment of this culinary delight. My sorority sisters did not agree. When I was in a sorority, lo these many years ago, o my children (back in the day when we DID NOT WEAR JEANS TO DINNER and WERE REQUIRED TO WEAR A DRESS ON SUNDAY Oh, my, yes it has been a long time) each of the rooms in the sorority house got to plan a menu for a week. And did the others dread when it was our turn to plan a menu? Well. Did they? You KNOW they did. Because you better believe baby, that beanie weenies were on that menu.

And it occurs to me that I have a lot of capitol letters in the post. I'm not sure what that means. Except that I must get very excited about beanie weenies. I'm not sure what that says about my life. Yes I am. And I'm not going to think about it.

Anyway. I made beanie weenies. We watched some more episodes of Dark Angel from Netflix. It was a good evening. I apparently don't need much excitement in my life. Just some beanie weenies.

Check out my Herald-Leader blog post for today: On The Patio at The Ketch

4 comments:

Sarah said...

First off...I just watched this show on those pigs that are trained to sniff out truffles...what are the odds??

Second...I do have a love for beanie weenies as well...which comes from the deep love my father has. Must run in the family! I never make them at the house because nick is not a fan of beans in anything but chili...sigh.

Anonymous said...

I guess if I was really really hungry I would eat beanie weanies too. I always opt for the grilled sandwich with soup.
vj

Unknown said...

Ewww ... I don't like beans of any kind! But I do enjoy Dark Angel - which disc are you on?

Nance said...

Well, crap. I thought you were going to talk about SPAM. Because then, you and I were really, really going to be able to have a serious CHAT.