Monday, June 29, 2009

You Know You're Really Retired When They Give Your Mailbox To The New Girl

So I left work on Friday at 2:30 and walked out the door and I was retired.

It was little anticlimactic, I must say.

Everyone else had already left for the summer so it was just me and a bunch of construction guys in the back of the school who were jack hammering up the floor. And they really didn't care if I was retiring.

I had already been wined and dined and feted by all my friends and coworkers so it was just me there at the end.

But the end had actually come a little sooner than that.

When I had gone in the office to check and see if I had any last-minute mail I should take care of before I left.

And realized I no longer had a mailbox.

And the new girl had one.

It was an odd feeling.

Not bad. Not sad.

Just. Odd.

2 comments:

Nance said...

You should feel triumphant! It is un fait accompli! You are FREE!

I am tres jealous. Sigh.

Melissa said...

I stumbled upon your blog, and I can't even remember the trail that brought me here, but I'm so glad it did. I never leave comments, but you're funny and smart--a pleasure to read.