Thursday, December 13, 2007

Invisible or Able to Fly?

So, I was listening to the radio the other day and the commentators came on with a discussion. They were asking about which super power you would want to have - to be invisible or to be able to fly? So, I got to thinking about it.

I finally decided I wouldn't want either one. They both have their drawbacks.

I can't imagine how being invisible would help you. I guess if you were a criminal, you could walk in places and steal anything you want and nobody could stop you. Although. Unless the stuff became invisible, it would look like it was floating out of the store or the bank and that wouldn't work. But maybe when you touch stuff, it becomes invisible also. Let's say it does. This is our game; we can make up the rules. That still wouldn't work for me because I'm not a criminal. I can't imagine how I would spend stolen money or wear stolen jewelry. So, that's out. I certainly would not want be invisible and hear what people say about me. I would prefer to think that my friends and family think I am absolutely perfect. To hear any different wouldn't help anyone involved. I suppose I could offer to help the government and spy on somebody but I'm such a weenie, I don't think I would be very good at that. I don't think there is anything I can think of that I would want to see or hear or do invisible that I couldn't see or hear or do when I was visible. So, that's out.

Now, being able to fly. I am really afraid of heights, so I can't imagine just lifting off the ground and flying more than a few feet above it. And that wouldn't work too well. Just consider how many obstacles would be in my way. OK, just change the rules again and assume I am not afraid of heights. WHY would I want to fly? Airplanes work just fine for getting me where I want to go and, really, flying myself places is just impractical. Where, for example, would I put all the shoes I have to take with me?? And that's not even considering all my clothes, make-up, jewelry, etc. Just not practical. And I really don't want to fly OVER places I want to visit, I want to walk around and see them. I just can't see the benefit.

In fact, I can't think of any super power I would want to have. All are impractical and have serious drawbacks. And most super heroes are not really very happy.

What do you think? Is there a super power you would like to have?

1 comments:

Bea said...

Are you kidding? Invisibility would rock. It's a dangerous power to have, though - it breeds deception and cowardice. I'm more of Tolkien's mind when it comes to invisibility than J.K.Rowling's - but it would still be a very useful power. I've thought so ever since my lovelorn teen stalker days when I planned to use it to spy unobtrusively on the object of my affections.