Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Yet Another Food Controversy

My family loves salmon patties. I have been making them since my children were very small and now my daughter makes them for her family. I don't really have a recipe; I just mix up canned salmon with some egg, onions, a little cornmeal and fry them. You know and agree with me, of course, that there is only ONE correct topping for salmon patties.

Ketchup.

However. When I made them for the first time for my husband when we were oh so young and newly married that I was concerned about how happy he was with his salmon pattie topping, he asked for Cheese Whiz to top them with.

Y'all.

CHEESE WHIZ. I had never heard anything so appalling. Ketchup is so...perfect. The perfect blend of tastes. Cheese Whiz? On your salmon pattie? Oh, dear. But that was the way he had been raised, that was the way his mother had served them, so I purchased Cheese Whiz. I melted Cheese Whiz in the microwave. And I served that gloppy concoction on his salmon patties. And he was happy.

And I thought that was the end of it. He was a little weird. But there you go. Each to his own. Everyone else in the world uses ketchup. He uses Cheese Whiz.

And then my daughter and son-in-law and the most perfect grandson in the world came to dinner.

And my son-in-law politely requested his salmon pattie topping. Ketchup? Cheese (shudder) Whiz? Nope.

Mustard.

So I dutifully served it and tried not to cringe as the mustard and the Cheese Whiz were liberally applied on opposite sides of the dining room table. But this got me to wondering. What DO people use on their salmon patties? I mean. Those who choose something beside the perfect topping of ketchup.

Well?


10 comments:

Unknown said...

Ketsup - Cheese Wiz??? Mrs. Who - I just don't know about you sometimes! Hehehehe ... The only perfect topping for salmon patties is gravy made from the pan drippings! Flour, milk and salmon drippings - what could be more perfect than that?!!!

Anonymous said...

Eeeeew! Salmon GRAVY? Yucko.
I like mine with either nothing on top, or with a slice of real cheddar. None of that Cheese Whiz.

Jenni said...

I don't think I'd like a salmon patty! Could I have a turkey sandwich instead, please?

Nikky said...

why are we destroying the taste of salmon with ANYTHING?? Ketchup? Cheez Whiz? Mustard?

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...

Good poll question tho, can't wait to see more responses!

Lynda said...

Oh people, it's tartar sauce... and nothing else!

Unknown said...

The correct thing to put on salmon is hollandaise sauce, of course. Cheese Whiz? Mustard? Gag......I could probably live with ketchup.

Anonymous said...

My mother always made salmon croquets for our family. The only topping we ever used was A1 sauce. Try it you will love it.
This was an inexpensive meal for our family and we all learned to love it.
kiki

Heather said...

I second the hollandaise sauce comment. Mmmmmmm, yummy.

Deodand said...

A little mayo can be nice, but I also like ketchup. Hell to the No on the Cheez Whiz.

Heather said...

Yuckers...to your alternates - mustard, cheese whiz (sick-o), and salmon gravy!?!

I think ketchup would do, but I'm more of a mayo/tartar sauce kind of gal with fish products. In fact, tartar sauce, finely shredded cabbage/iceberg lettuce and some thin sliced onions would do for me :)