Thursday, February 8, 2007

Time Keeps on Slippin'

This is the very last post about napping, I promise. Or maybe not. They are pretty fab. I might have to write about them at least once a week. But probably not. Anyway, I just took a nap. I laid my head back on the pillow at 2:48. When I looked at the clock again, it was 3:45. An hour had passed. I swear, I was just lyin' there with my head on that pillow for a minute or two. But an hour had passed while I was lying there. Isn't that strange? Time just keeps on slippin', slippin'. I'm showing my age here. Who knows who did that song? Ok, I didn't either until I looked it up on Google.* And what did we do before Google, I'd like to know? Oh yeah, we asked a librarian for help.

But I digress. About time slipping away. Time is strange, isn't it? How it passes? I remember a Stephen King book in which one of the characters has to spend time in a shed because he changes into a werewolf...well, anyway, it's complicated. But the thing is, he talked about "shed time" vs. "real time". Shed time was slow, slow, slow. Each minute lasted an hour while he waited to be set free. I know the feeling. It's like that week before the prom. You watched that big, round clock face in the classroom (digital clocks hadn't been invented then, my children) and it DRAGGED. But when you are on a cruise, that week FLIES BY. Boring time vs. Fun time.

And what about when you have surgery or have to be put to sleep for something minor, like a colonoscopy? Yeah, that was minor. Seriously. I don't know people make such a big deal about a colonoscopy. I slept right through it and never even noticed them probing around back there. But, the point is, the time during that procedure just...went. Slipped by. I was in the little waiting room in my gown, kinda drowsy. Then, I was in there waking up to Tom's face. Kinda weird. Not his face. I like his face. You know what I mean.

Sometimes it would be nice to be able to slow time down. Like when you are having such a good time laughing at something someone said. You know that feeling? Like you just can't stop laughing, it's so funny? Then you look at each other and start laughing again? On the other hand, it would be nice to speed time up. Like when you are waiting in line at the motor vehicle place because you forgot to mail in that license plate stuff. Not that I ever do that.

Sometimes I think it would be great to speed time up. But whenever I think that, I think about wishing aloud that it was such and such a time already. And my mom always said "Don't wish your life away." I guess that's true. You just don't know what might happen in the next minute.

It could be something really nice.


*It's from "Fly Like an Eagle", by The Steve Miller Band.

0 comments: