Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Like a Sieve

I may think I have problems, but at least I don't have a cat who flushes the toilet at my house.

I just had a class in the library with students named Jajuan, Jakarah, Jayce, Jayden and Jaylah. All in the same class. I am not making this up. It's no wonder I can't remember anyone's name. Of course, that could also be due to the fact that, as the years progress, my brain more and more resembles a sieve. You know how when you drain broccoli, a lot of that green stuff comes out through the holes and ends up in the sink? Well, picture a sieve with bigger holes and more stuff coming through...I think I'm losing my focus here. And I want some broccoli and cheese. Maybe for lunch...

Anyway, my brain is letting me down. I have never had a good memory. I can barely remember what I had for breakfast, much less hang onto memories for any time in the past. I can't really remember my childhood. It's a shame, because it looks pretty interesting in the pictures. But it seems to be getting much worse as I get older. I can barely remember what I wanted to do when I go from one room to another in my own home. And coming from downstairs to the upstairs? Forget it. Whatever I wanted to do is long gone. I won't remember that until I'm in bed, ready to fall asleep. Then I'll have to get up and get that article I wanted to put in my purse to show someone.

But my brain really let me down last night. I left the oven on. For some reason, I do this often. And I also turn on the wrong burner. Do you do this? I'm standing there waiting for the oil to get hot so I can pop in the chicken or fish and...duh...I turned on the wrong burner. I do this ALL THE TIME. I mean, the burners have always been in the same place. The button is clearly labeled as to which burner is on or off. But I do it ALL THE TIME. So I actually had the oven on Broil because I was broiling some steaks. Then we went downstairs to eat and watch tv so the oven was on for, like, three hours. If my husband had not noticed it, I would have blithely gone to bed and left it on all night. I'm not sure if an oven left on Broil for 10 hours would explode and catch the house on fire, but I don't think I want to find out.

I want to trade in my sieve for a sturdy sauce pan. One that will actually hold something.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Sad to say I do the burner thing as well. I usually notice the heat coming off the one right beside the one I am looking at all annoyed. Good to know it runs in the family!

Unknown said...

Don't think you're alone in the name thing. As you know, I also have no memory cells and in one of my classes I have Vi,Fuong,Manassa,Roya,Lerissa, Narine,Marine, etc. etc. and I wonder why I can't remember their names. What ever happened to Bob, Joe and Bill or Susan, Mary and Alice. Names make me crazy. Especially when I'm trying to call roll!!

Unknown said...

Oh Yeah....God love gas stoves or I'd do the burner thing too, I'm sure. However, if the flame doesn't come on, it's a pretty good sign I turned the wrong knob, so I find out very quickly I'm an idiot. I also devised an incredibly stupid system that seems to work. Outside knobs are for back burners or BO. Somehow the whole BO thing makes me remember it. Don't ask me why stinky armpits helps me to remember which stove knob to turn, but it does.

Boo said...

That's how I remember things too! I have the most complex, extensive system for the simplest things but I guess if it works for me then so be it! :)