Monday, July 2, 2007

A Unit of Cultural Information

Ha! Aren't you impressed with the title of my post? I thought it sounded a lot more impressive than a meme, which is actually what it is. I have been tagged by Linda, of From the Back Nine fame for this one. It's another one where I have to tell some stuff about myself so, hey, twist my arm, that's why I have a blog! Because I like to talk about myself. And all the various permutations which my life can take. And so you might read it and say, whoa, my life took that very same permutation! Only you might not say permutation because you might not be a librarian who uses those big ole fancy words.

I'm supposed to tag eight other bloggers but, honestly I think my family bloggers may be tagged out and I am too intimidated by any other bloggers and their omnipotence to tag them, so the meme may come to an end here. Or maybe not. These things seem to have a life of their own. Anyway, eight things about me. Here goes.

1. I sometimes think I am REALLY good at technology. I maintain the school web pages, have designed a complete online library information skills curriculum and have even presented at national conferences. And the other day I sent an email to my boss in which I criticized her (luckily, in a nice way) that I had intended to send to someone else entirely. Just clicked on the wrong name. That's just what happens when you get too full of yourself.

2. I used to write book reviews for School Library Journal. Every month, I got free books or dummies (a book before it actually becomes a book) to read and review. The prestige was incredible. All my fellow librarians fell to their knees in awe. OK, not really, but it was pretty cool. And one day I realized it was an awful lot of work for absolutely no pay. So I quit. What a relief.

3. I make my bed every single morning. I have, like sixteen pillows on it, and I make it and arrange them nicely. Then I fold my pajamas and lay them neatly on the covers so I can put them on that night. Anal much?

4. My husband and I have a date night every single Friday night. We go to a different restaurant and just eat and talk about our week. We look forward to it. We really enjoy it. Every Friday.

5. I have tons of fake plants and flowers in my house. Not like plastic bright red and yellow K-Mart flowers but pretty nice stuff. I know it's pretty nice because my sister commented on how my silk plant was growing towards the water fountain when she was here one time. The silk plant. Growing. Must look pretty damn real.

6. I think there is something wrong with my gall bladder. Or it may be diverticulitis, which my mom has. For several years I have had attacks of severe, deep down pain in my stomach which can build to nausea very quickly. It hits and then it's gone. They can't find anything wrong with my gall bladder. Every time I think it's gone and months and months go by, it hits me again. But it's so rare, I keep forgetting about it. I'm hoping it doesn't get worse.

7. People always say you don't know who your friends are until you really need them. People are right. When my dad passed away, my friends sent cards, flowers, food, called me and came to the visitation and the funeral. You just don't realize how important that is until it happens.

8. Every time I start to really worry that I won't be able to write anything for this blog and I am going to run out of ideas and everyone will be so disappointed in me, I come up with about three or four ideas and whip out some posts. And now that I have written that, I will probably tap out and not get any more good ideas. That would be extremely annoying. I should probably shut up about running out of ideas.



OK, that's eight. If you are reading this and you have a blog and you want to write eight things about yourself, you are officially tagged. Link to me if you want. I can use the comments. And if you are reading this and have never commented, think about it. Sometimes I feel like my words are stones falling into into a deep, empty well. Thanks.





7 comments:

Lizzybee said...

Your words are not stones falling into a well, we appreciate all of your thoughts!

Unknown said...

Your words are not falling into a "deep empty well". I read your blog every day. I don't always comment because I don't always have something to say, but I always read it. And, you frequently make me laugh. That's a good thing. Keep writing. Don't be intimidated by other bloggers. I tagged 8 strangers and it has worked out well with lots of support and lots of new information about people. It's a good way to get to know people. If you are internet friends who never meet, how else do you find out interesting things??

Anonymous said...

I don't get a chance to read your blog every day, but I read a couple of your blogs every other day or so. You always amaze me - you have so much to say in every blog. Your blogs are so interesting, and each time I read your blog, I feel as if I just spent some quality time visiting with a girl friend. And I find I can relate to almost every one of your blogs! Thanks for sharing so much of yourself!

Hugs,
Barbara

Anonymous said...

So how pissed IS your boss? And about that "deep down pain building to nausea" thingy? I get it each time Paris Hilton is in the news. Thanks for the post.

Sarah said...

I am also an every day reader....I LOVE your blog...not even close to stones falling in a well!

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blogs....their interesting, funny, witty and I learn more about you every day.
ya ya

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?