Tuesday, July 10, 2007

And Now It's Summer

I finally made it to the Farmer's Market. Every summer, I think I'm going to go to the Farmer's Market every day they are open and I'm going to buy all these lovely fresh fruits and vegetables and we are going to have them for all our meals and the heavens will open up and a hallelujah chorus will sound because I am the best, the healthiest, the more phenomenal person in the whole universe.


And then I don't make it there. I forget that it's the right day. Or I find I'm too busy to get there. And if you don't get there before early afternoon, forget it. They have packed up and gone home. And I still think that is dumb. Why don't they stay there until, like 6 or 7? Doesn't it seem logical they would sell a whole lot to people who are heading home from work? But, apparently, it just doesn't work like that. I stopped one day at about 4 and the parking lot was empty except for some corn husks and a discarded candy bar wrapper. Probably from someone who stopped to buy fresh vegetables and had to resort to junk food in desperation.


But I finally made it! And I bought tomatoes, cucumbers, yellow squash, new potatoes, a cantaloupe and a watermelon. That was quite a workout getting to my car, let me just tell you. The watermelon may have just possibly been one thing too many. But I managed. I went home for lunch and sliced some tomatoes and put them on a plate with some cottage cheese and put some cut up watermelon in a bowl and that was lunch.


The tomatoes were still warm where they had been sitting in the sun on the farmer's stand. They smelled like sun and fresh air. I took one bite and that warm, red, rich, tart taste filled my mouth.


And it was the taste...of summer.

2 comments:

Boo said...

Oooo, I'm jealous! I haven't made it to the Farmers Market yet this year! Maybe I'll go this weekend! You've inspired me!

Unknown said...

I just made it to our favorite produce stand yesterday and bought the first tomatoes of summer. We had BLTs for dinner last night and they were so wonderful! There is simply nothing like the taste of a fat, juicy, vine ripened tomato. They should use those store bought things that they sell as tomatoes for tennis balls or some such. They sure have no flavor!